Solutions for Dry Eye Syndrome
Dry eye syndrome is no small matter. This irritating problem can make your everyday life uncomfortable, impair your vision, and possibly even cause lasting damage to your eyes. If you think you may be one of the many individuals struggling with a tear film or hydration imbalance, visit us at EyeSee. Our optometrist is happy to treat dry eyes in Lincolnshire, IL.
What Is Dry Eye Syndrome?
Dry eye syndrome is a collection of symptoms that occur when the front surfaces of your eyes can't retain the moisture they need for proper health and comfort. Under normal circumstances, your eyes are bathed in a tear film every time you blink. This tear film includes a layer of water sandwiched between an overlying layer of oil (contributed by glands inside your eyelids) and an underlying layer of mucous. This careful arrangement must stay in balance for your eyes to remain correctly hydrated. If your tears lack sufficient oil, for example, the water in them may dry up in a matter of seconds, leaving your eyes parched. You can also suffer from dry eye syndrome if your body is simply not making enough tears. Your particular case of dry eye syndrome may be related to:
- Age-related dryness
- Medications or health problems that dehydrate you
- Constant computer usage (which can reduce your blink rate)
- Wind from outdoor environments or indoor fans
- Clogged oil glands
Dry eye syndrome makes your eyes feel itchy and gritty, as if they contained dust or some other foreign object. You may also experience redness, light sensitivity, and blurring of vision. If you let the condition progress, your unprotected corneas could become scarred or infected.
A Variety of Treatment Options from Our Eye Doctor
Our eye doctor can run tests to see whether you suffer from dry eye syndrome or some other condition that produces similar symptoms. Depending on the cause of your dryness, we may provide treatment measures such as:
- Eye drops - Artificial tears or lubricating eye drops can help you protect and hydrate your eyes.
- Lifestyle changes - Wind-blocking sunglasses, breaks in your work routine, or changes in your medical routine may all prove helpful.
- Specialized contacts - You may benefit from either hydrogel or scleral contact lenses. Hydrogel lenses retain moisture within their specialized materials, while scleral lenses provide a reservoir for tears.
Struggling with Dry, Irritated Eyes? Call EyeSee
Our optometrist at EyeSee can help you conquer dry eye syndrome. Call today for an appointment in Lincolnshire, IL!